Tuesday 4 March 2008

The Sushi Train of pain!

Well, as previously stated, I was sworn to go for Sushi on Friday night. And as a man of my word, we went for sushi. There are a couple of problems that I have with sushi. Firstly as much as I like the taste of fish, I don’t particularly like the smell of it. And secondly, I am a man who likes carbohydrates by the barrel load. I should probably point out that it was the first time that I have eaten sushi and to be honest, it doesn’t taste too bad. However, the atmosphere of the place has ensured, that I came away with psychological sushi scars that may not heal for some time.

Rather than that typical restaurant feeling that we all know and love, you kind of get a feeling more equated to having dinner in the luggage lounge in Heathrow Airport. Instead of suitcases, you are confronted by little plates of food travelling aimlessly round a conveyor belt, which could have been there for any undetermined period of time. Come to think of it, that isn't like Heathrow at all. The plates of food would have to be cracked open and the contents stolen to be like any airport luggage lounge.
It would be better described as a lottery, only you really wouldn’t want to be the winner. If the lottery aspect isn’t enough of a deterrent there is also the small issue of mental arithmetic exam that you are required to use in order to avoid bankruptcy. Now that I think about it, I am almost certain that they have based the billing system on the old verbal reasoning tests, once immortalised by the 11+. The system is quite simple in principle, but not so applicable to the real world. Just so you have an idea of what I mean I have prepared an example below:

Blue Plates = £2.00
Green Plates = £2.50
Yellow Plates = £3.00
Red Plates = £3.50

It doesn’t seem too difficult so far; until that is you start to get into it. During the meal, we managed to go through:

4 blue plates, 4 yellow plates and 4 green plates. = £30.00

If the customer has 3 bottles of beer and the waiting staff have the speed and stealth of ninjas. Who got shafted on the bill?

Yes! You guessed it! I got shafted!

If this is the format for all sushi restaurants, it is easy to see why “Dr Kawashima’s: Brain Training” is so popular in Japan. Anyway, I think it will be sometime before I venture over the threshold and into the world of sushi again.

Best just to stick to the traditional restaurant arrangement in the future.

No comments: