Monday 3 March 2008

No I don't want a loan, but I would like you to pay my damn rent!

Okay, maybe I’m just becoming increasingly infected with uncontrollable rage as I get older, but the end of last week left me with the overwhelming urge to strike somebody employed within the financial sector.

It all started on Friday morning when I phoned the bank. I am also more than aware of the old cliché surrounding banks and the generalised hatred of them, but this is different. I would be lying if I said that I wasn’t pissed off that they have taken an extortionate sum of money from me, in what they like to call “charges”. However, that is not what I am taking exception to.

Having recently managed to clear the balance of my credit card, but only after several years of having to hand over great wads of cash, in an attempt to keep the financial wolf from the door.
I thought I was in the clear, until Friday morning that is, when I had the dubious pleasure of calling my bank to find out why the rent had not left my account. You would think that it was pretty straightforward, but after asking my question and getting fobbed off by Raymond – the agent of darkness on the other end of the line - it quickly becomes clear that he has no interest in answering my query. Nope, Raymond has his own agenda. He has decided that instead of telling me about why money hasn’t left my account that I would rather know about the Halifax’s extensive range of loans, which coincidently are extremely affordable. At least that is, if what Raymond told me is to be believed. (Apparently, the UK’s interest rates don’t apply on planet Halifax).

This isn’t the first time that I have been financially propositioned by a bank clerk either. I recently paid a cheque into my account and was then asked if I would like to apply for a credit card. Clearly, these people are not doing their jobs properly. Even the most fleeting of glances at my banking history would tell a delightful story of personal loans and credit card debts. So the only assumption, that can be made from these perpetual offers of money from the bank, is that they rather preferred me when I had to give all my money to them, rather than getting to keep it for myself.
Perhaps, I will send them a bunch of flowers along with a sypathy card that reads, sorry to hear about your loss of customer service.

No comments: