Monday 25 February 2008

Man dies in cake-eating contest!

You would be forgiven for thinking that I made that headline up, but you would be wrong. Yes! This did actually happen and I for one find it to be a more than terrifying way to go. I won’t lose any sleep over it, at least until the next time I happen to be invited to a party were I know that “fairy cakes” are going to be in circulation.

I think that we can all agree that this is a headline that you don’t see every day. Not least because I have to whole-heartedly agree with the club owner’s statement, which contains the line “…and should serve as a cautionary tale”. It will no doubt do just that, when parents wheel it out across the country, as a form of foreboding of the perils of gluttonous behavior at birthday parties. In fact now that I think about it, is it not a little insensitive to use reference to a form of fictional story, when consideration is given to the detail that the offending item or items were “fairy cakes”.

If the headline itself isn’t bad enough, clearly the first aiders at the event just weren’t thinking on their feet that particular evening. Everybody over the age of 10 knows that the only treatment for a chronic case of “fairy cake blockage” is 3 ½ gallons of orange squash, preferably administered using one of those crazy straws, which coincidently just don’t seem to be as big as they used to be.

I suppose the people who are going to suffer the most out of this are the ones that come to extend their condolences. I can just imagine it now.

“I'm sorry to hear about Barry, how did he die?”

Try keeping a straight face after getting the answer to that question. I’ll even bet your sitting with a smirk on your face just thinking about it.
As with a lot of funerals, people usually assemble back at a house for a cup of tea and a bun, but given the circumstances, I just can't see how tea and buns would be appropriate.

Anyway, just so you know that I am not making this up, check out the story for yourself by clicking the link below:

http://www.bebo.com/Link.jsp?Url=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.bbc.co.uk%2F1%2Fhi%2Fwales%2F7261888.stm

More updates will be posted as and when I think of something, until then that’s your lot.

No comments: